1) Pick a place: When we began planning for our first retreat, we quickly decided to hold the retreat at a place and time that allowed the largest number of us to attend. We chose a location outside of Detroit in 2011--a beautiful, three story house on a man-made lake. Flights were relatively inexpensive, and the house offered plenty of room.
|The crew in 2011: Back - Amy Rose Capetta, Katie Bayerl, Rachel Wilson, Carol Allen, Sue LaNeve; Middie - Mary Winn Heider, Jennifer Schmidt; Front - Linden McNeilly, Ginger Johnson|
While we loved the 2011 house, we decided to try something a little different in 2012. We wanted to feel more secluded, so we picked a house on a large, wooded, two-acre lot. We also chose a house in Beverly Shores, IN, about an hour outside of Chicago. Chicago was a less-expensive hub city than Detroit, and since four our our crew lived in there, we didn't have to rent any cars.
|Ginger and Rachel outside of the 2012 House (Beverly Shores, IN)|
|"Can I get a hot tub?!"|
While the 2011 house offered more room and was a little cheaper, the 2012 house gave us the retreat feel that we were craving. We didn't feel like were where held up in the suburbs--we felt away.
(The 2012 house also had a huge outdoor hot tub, which is always a good thing.)
2) Make a schedule: I can't stress how important this is. While we wanted to have a lot of fun, we wanted to get meaningful work done. We also wanted to hold small workshops. It easy to say that you can fit all this in over a 4 day weekend, but you'd be surprised how quickly the time passes without a little structure.
|The crew in 2012: Back - Amy Rose Capetta, Mary Winn Heider, Carol Brendler, Katie Bayerl, Marianna Baer, Varian Johnson; Front - Ginger Johnson, Rachel Wilson, Jennifer Schmidt, Larissa Theule, Rachel Hylton|
|Mary Winn, hard at work|
3) Think about ways to cut down expenses. Picking a large hub city certainly cut down on costs. We also cooked most of our meals. This not only cut down on cost, but it allowed us to hang out while working in the kitchen. All that being said--the bigger the kitchen, the easier it is to fix food. Our 2012 house had a much smaller kitchen that our previous house, making it that much harder for everyone to maneuver. We're already talking about contingency plans for the next retreat if we pick a house with a small kitchen. And be sure to bring a crock-pot or two.
|Marianna, Katie and Mary Winn whipping up a meal.|
4) Share the responsibilities. We not only shared in cooking duties, but we also shared with clean-up, planning, driving--everything. This way, it didn't feel like one or two people were doing all the work.
5) Have Fun! Sure, you're there to work, but don't forget to have fun. And wine and chocolate always help.
|Sara's clients on the beach - Amy Rose Capetta, Rachel Wilson, Varian Johnson, Marianna Baer|
Our 2011 retreat was extremely successful. Between 2011 and 2012, three retreat pieces sold--Amy Rose Capetta's Entangled, Rachel Wilson's Don't Touch, and my own Jackson Greene Steals the Election.
I can't wait to see the results of our 2012 retreat, and I can't wait until 2013!
Great advice, Varian. Sounds like both retreats were worthwhile. Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete
Had to pass this idea on to my playwrights circle...sage advice; thank you!ReplyDelete
That sounds like so much fun - thanks for sharing the tips!ReplyDelete
Varian that sounds awesome. Someday, I'm lobbying for a nester retreat. How cool would that be???ReplyDelete
Greetings, earthling!! Shouldn’t be long, gottawanna run back to Heaven; however, in the meantime, take anything and everything you wanna from our wonderfull, plethora-of-thot to write the next, great masterpeace -if- I can but kiss your gorgeous, adorable feets and/or cuddle withe greatest, ex-mortal-girly-ever to arrive in Seventh Heaven. Think about it. Do it! Get back with me Upstairs, k? God bless you, doll: pleasure-beyond-measure is waiting in the Great Beyond for you and eye …thewarningsecondcoming.comReplyDelete
Seeing myself in the photo of the 2011 retreat reminded me of the amazing group of writers with whom I'm connected. Not seeing myself in the 2012 retreat double-whammied me on missing it and all of you. What are the plans for 2013?? Great article, V!ReplyDelete
Thanks for the tips! Looks like everyone had a wonderful time.ReplyDelete
Wow, this sounds like so much fun. I feel like I could do these types of things all the time. :) hahaReplyDelete
Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)ReplyDelete
Obat Migren Ibu Menyusui
Menghilangkan Iritasi Lambung
Obat Kelenjar Payudara
Obat Untuk Menghilangkan Luka Kecelakaan Alami
Cara Menghilangkan Penyakit Mesothelioma
Obat Infeksi Rahim
Obat Maag Anak Tradisional
Obat Sindrom Ovarium Polikistik
INDEPENDENT CALL GIRLS IN KOLKATA
REAL WHATSAPP NUMBER GIRLS
PRICE RATES SONAGACHI
CALL GIRLS NAMES
KOLKATA GIRL PHOTO
EROTIC MASSAGE IN HYDERABAD
CALL GIRL ONLINE
ESCORT SHARE PRICE HISTORY
KOLKATA KA RANDI BAZAR
FEMALE WHATSAPP NUMBERS
WHATSAPP GIRL NUMBER 2016
CALL GIRL NUMBER IN KOLKATA
ESCORT SERVICES IN INDIA
SONAGACHI IMAGES KOLKATA
KALKATA SEX COM
INDIAN CALL GIRL NO
TOP SEXY GIRLS
GIRL CONTACT NUMBER
SEALDAH TO JADAVPUR
KOLKATA SONAGACHI AREA PHOTO
SEXY GIRL PHONE NO
WHATSAPP NUMBERS OF GIRL
MOST SEXY GIRL IN WORLD
WHATSAPP NUMBER OF GIRLS
WWW LOCANTO COM KOLKATA
GIRLS REAL WHATSAPP NUMBER
KOLKATA LOCAL SEX
GIRLS PHONE NUMBER ON WHATSAPP
user ought to guarantee that the printer head is perfect and liberated from dust. Residue on the head might cause some impediment while printingThere are two different ways to clear or clean the residue, one being the programmed way and other the manual one, using the muslin material. 123.com.setup Doing as such will permit the printer to take care of its work effectively without stalling out.ReplyDelete